I had a girlfriend a few years back. And, I
had no bike at that time. Only a Kinetic Honda. Which is not a bike. And, it
was in a bad condition. It has always been in such a state. Every time she’d
come to Mulund, out of sheer love and concern, I would drop her back to Khar,
where she resides. In a rickshaw. Late at nights. For obvious reasons (and
lethargy), I would choose to come back by a rickshaw. The deal was – While
going to Khar, she’d pay. Although, I never allowed her to do that. And while
coming back, I would pay. And, she couldn’t do anything about it.
I’ve always called her a ‘fighter’. I
started off saying that because of the attributes in her. Turned out, she took
it literally. The fights were not exactly with me. It was with the rickshaw
walas. For the atrocious late night charges. More so, for the rigged rickshaw
meters. If the meters are not rigged, their meter reading cards are.
Precisely after 2 or 3 drops in the meter
readings, she would know if it is manipulated or not. There has been a case
where we have changed 4 rick guys from Mulund to Khar.
Rick 1 – Started from Mulund. Ended at
Mulund.
Rick 2 – Started from Mulund. Ended at
Kanjurmarg.
Rick 3 – Started from Kanjurmarg. Ended at
Kurla.
Rick 4 – Started from Kurla. Ended at Khar.
Phew!
I had to be there with her for all the
fights, with all the four rick guys. Like I mentioned before, love and concern,
you see.
Anyhow, in all of this, I’ve always noticed
that there are gallons of corruption running in the blood of people. It’s bad.
It’s disappointing.
Run to the traffic police to complain against
the rick guys. They ask you for a bribe. Run to someone else to lodge a
complaint against the traffic police. They ask you for a bribe. Run to someone
else to complain against the previous someone else, they ask you for a bribe. Try
to reach someone else to complain against the someone else in the previous
sentence, they ask you to get in touch with someone else. And still ask you for
a bribe.
Moreover, if you don’t have a bike or a
car, to reach these places you’ll have to travel by a rickshaw. Funny, this
life! What can you do? Nothing. I couldn’t. Perhaps, I never tried. I discovered
this one thing in me – I fight with that rickshaw guy now. But for once, I
might have to give up the fight of corruption.
Aamir Khan (Rang De Basanti): "Zindagi jeene ke sirf do tarike hote hai.
Ek, jo ho raha hai hone do, bardaasht karte jao. Ya fir jimmedari uthao usse
badalneki."
A
poem about “the corrupted”, and the ones who live “the corrupt life”!
We see the ‘wrongs’ happening.
Only to blind ourselves from the ‘rights’.
We sense the poisonous death.
Only to try and rediscover aliveness.
We all know about our unworried-ness.
Only to care a little lesser.
We know we are bound by these bastardly laws.
Made only to set the corrupt bastards free.
We have adjusted our settings to live this
life.
Only to give them space for adjusting.
For all you know, we live this corrupted way
of life, so that “the corrupted” can live theirs.

No comments:
Post a Comment