The world was busy. Killing. Loving. Fighting. Kissing. Missing. Adding. Laughing. Balancing. Saving. Caring. Singing. Sharing. Befriending. Falling. Enjoying. Lazing. Jumping. Appreciating. Requesting. Hating. Contributing. Daring. Looting. Pooping. Puking. Subtracting. Gazing. Buying. Punishing. Drying. Dancing. Drinking. Looking. Calling. Pressing. Helping. Designing. Searching. Kicking. Crying. Playing. Working.

I was thinking. Writing.

Thursday, June 24, 2010

Bombay - Pune - Bombay

I like to call it Pune. Read: pyun (Peon, rather).

I am still wondering as to why I landed up here. Although, I try not to question myself too much. If I do, subsequently, a thought of running back to Bombay drops into my head.

First time ever, in 27 years, I’ve stepped out of my home to reside and work in a new city. Tempest Advertising – Apparently, according to my boss, we are known for our creative work in Pune. Read: creative work. He also boasts about 3 awards kept in the reception, surrounded by fake flowers placed in a haphazard manner, which even advertising has never heard of. Funnily, I find him creatively crippled. Poor fellow, he tries really hard. A good guy, no matter what.

He’s a dream boss, who would give you ‘chuttis’ whenever. Secondly, if you come late to work, he’ll ask you for the reason. Invalid or Valid, whatever the reason (excuse, usually) maybe, he’ll just say “Okay” to it. And since, it is the so-called “creative agency”, my colleague deliberately showed up late at work and decided to generate the newest creative excuse possible.

Boss: Vinay, why are you so late to work? It’s 10:35. You should have been here at 9:30.
Vinay: Why, what happened at 9:30?

To this, my Boss started laughing. Vinay joined him.
See, didn’t I tell you he’s a good Boss. Good human being, rather.

Nevertheless, Pune is great place to stay in. I mean, if you are single. So yea… I stepped into this city thinking about work. (Babes, actually).

On the first day, my boss took me inside his cabin. (DAMN! Not that way). He started briefing me about various clients – Real Estate, FMCG, Retail, etc. He expected me to get on with work, right away. Honestly, I am so used to slogging (like really), I didn’t say NO. I started.

Shit, as I expected it to be.

Day 1 was boring, and so was Day 15 (not that the days in between were fun). Day 7 was fun (a little), a Wednesday. Boss invited all of us to the Pune Mirror Media Party fixed up at one of the hippest places in Pune – Elbow Room. Fukat daru (and Pune Advertising (hot) chics), I thought. The moment my Boss got done with the sentence, I was wondering what my pick-up line probably could be. None of my colleagues turned in. It was just my Boss and me.

We both entered and saw no one around. I knew Pune wasn’t good when it comes to Advertising, and hence the scarcity of people. Everyone knew Pune Advertising sucks. Damn, I am the only one who’s STUCK, I mulled over (sad face). Then I realised that my Boss is habituated of going/coming to places far before time. Yes, super punctual. He’s usually the one who comes down the office first before everyone. Even before the pune (Peon) gets there.

It was 8:30. Soon people began to crowd up. Guys, uncles and senior to senior citizens. And 6 ‘aunties’, out of which 3 were senior to senior aunties. The uncles seemed to be happy. (I was just hoping that they don’t start off with a Laughter Club routine). The obvious thought… “Let me get them drunk (It’s free, after all) and then J.A.P.A.N. (Jump And Pump At Night)”. Sex, if you found that too cheesy. I could see it in a few eyes. And, then I went to wash my face. I saw what I dreaded, my own eyes. I rushed out. No elderly ladies man, I said to myself. I chucked the thought (of trying for an oldie). And, as if my Boss was a face reader, he asks, “Tujhe buddhi log majaa nahi aayega na?”. I blushed a bit and said, “Sir, I’m not here for this. I just wanted to step out of my house.” He gave me an awkward smile. I returned it with a clumsier one.

Stage one of parties in Pune was a bad experience. Although, not getting judgemental about the party places in Pune. I said to myself, ‘Hari, you are not here for this. Work! Work! And just work! Dedicate your life to work.’ So I worked… on sleeping! Well, that’s the only option I can avail of when I don’t have no one around to gab with. My roomies are cool people, no doubt. But, by nature, it’ll take some time to gel in. So, I slept.

I got up to see 2 messages.

Message 1 – Vodafone
Please pay your bill. The last day is blah. To continue with your services do blah. And, blah.

I deleted it.


Message 2 – Tejas (A copywriter friend of mine)
Hari, Tanuja mite cal u 2day. Just thot I shud keep u posted b4hand.

My eyes fucking popped out!!! (Sorry about the profanity. But, I got really excited that time). Tanuja from Publicis India called and we fixed up a meeting for the next Wednesday. As a matter of fact, she had already interviewed me and she had liked me, my work (She said so. I am not assuming.).
Round 2 of interview at Publicis India. Vivek Nayyar, the Creative Director there. “Hi. Hot in Bombay na? How’s Pune?”, he enquired. “Ya, hot girls there. Do you guys have any idea of shifting to Pune?”, and I broad-smiled as if it was the best joke ever cracked. He turned away his face (To puke, I hoped not.). "The weather’s magnificent there now.", I said.

I took out my pen drive and presented my work. He kept on smiling. (Was it my face or my work, or the joke, or all three, I wondered.). I got done with the presentation. “I’ll get back to you on Friday, pakka.”, he said and shook hands with me. I’ve always hated the I’LL-GET-BACK-TO-YOUs said by any interviewer. It’s a hopeful statement. Not for me though.

I came back to Pune. Not dejected, not too hopeful.

The next day I got a call from an unknown number. I was hoping for it not be a call from Vodafone. It wasn’t. It was Preeti, the HR from Publicis India. “Hello, may I speak to Hariharan?”, she said in a seductive tone.
I said, “Ya, speaking. Who’s this?”. “Hi Hariharan, I am Preeti from Publicis India.”.Without even thinking once, “Does this mean that I am through at Publicis?”, I asked her excitedly. She said, “Exactly why I am calling you. I just wanted a few documents from your end.”.

The rest is as the HR story goes. I got selected. Bombay, here I come.


No comments:

Post a Comment