The world was busy. Killing. Loving. Fighting. Kissing. Missing. Adding. Laughing. Balancing. Saving. Caring. Singing. Sharing. Befriending. Falling. Enjoying. Lazing. Jumping. Appreciating. Requesting. Hating. Contributing. Daring. Looting. Pooping. Puking. Subtracting. Gazing. Buying. Punishing. Drying. Dancing. Drinking. Looking. Calling. Pressing. Helping. Designing. Searching. Kicking. Crying. Playing. Working.

I was thinking. Writing.

Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Nocturnal

It’s 10th June, 2013.
A Monday.

It’s 11.
I’m back from work.
I throw my bag on the bed.
Change into my night clothes.
Which are just clothes. Not really made for the night.
I wash my legs.
Walk into the kitchen, looking for something to munch on.
I come out disappointed.
I set my bag aside, on the chair next to the bed.
I jump onto my bed.
I switch on the TV.

It’s 12.
I’m still lying on the bed.
Watching a Jackie Chan movie.
"Who am I?" The movie.
For the 23rd time.
I’m not bored.
Not yet.
Haven’t flipped the channel.
Not because I’m not bored.
Because, the remote is too far away.
I’ll pick it up the next time I get up searching for something to munch on.

It’s 1. In the morning.
I get up from the bed, searching for grub.
Disappointed. Again.
I gulp down a bottle of water.
Step out for a smoke.
Carefully, before I light up one cigarette, I look around.
For neighbours.
For late-working husbands.
For socialite Gujaratis, coming back from a wedding or some other function.
No one should catch me smoking here.
I don’t care.
But, it’d be weird to be caught here.
Right outside my building is fine.
But, not on the floor you stay in.
I light one.
It’s a strange kick that I get out of it.
It’s a good feeling to be smoking at night.
I have two, instead.
I step back inside.
Wash my hands, and my face.
I should not smell of cigarettes.
My Dad has a hound’s nose.
He can smell it all.
I jump onto the bed.
I realise, I have forgotten to take the remote.
Lethargy rules me over.
I fight it.
I get the remote.

It’s 2.
The channel has been changed.
It’s football time.
55 minutes into the game.
A second division premier league game is being played.
Bradford City – Milwall FC.
2 – 2, the score.
Milwall FC comes close to scoring.
I wanted them to score.
There were too many twos.
The time. The score.
Two people sleeping in my bedroom. Mom & Dad.
I had smoked two cigarettes, back then.
Too many twos.
I smoked one more cigarette.
Just to break the cyclical manner of the twos rolling out that night.
I hate repetitive things.
Let me repeat myself, I hate repetitive things.
I step back inside.
I didn’t feel good smoking the third.
It was uncalled for.
I step back inside.
I see my Mom staring at me through her groggy eyes.
She must have gotten up.
I tell her that I was on a phone call.
Why not inside the home, she asks.
No network, I reply.
I try to fool her.
I don’t even have the phone with me.
She doesn’t say anything.
She goes back into the bedroom.
I leave a huge sigh of relief.
I gulp down one more bottle of water.
I jump onto the bed.

It’s 2:30.
I’m watching the last few minutes of the match.
I don’t realise that Dad walked in from behind the curtains.
I look at him, and get back to watching the match.
He reminds that it’s a Wednesday.
Says that I have work tomorrow.
I nod.
He goes back into the bedroom.

It’s 3.
My eyes blink.
Once.
Twice.
The match is over.
2 – 2, the final score.
Good match.
I’m browsing through the channels.
I stop at yet another movie.
One of my favourites.
Sherlock Holmes. A Game Of Shadows.
It’s halfway through.
I’ve watched it twice before.
The third time beckons.
My eyes blink.
Once.
Twice.
Thrice.
I shake my head vigorously.
Stand up from the sleeping position.
Continue watching the movie.

It’s 4.
The movie is over.
My eyes are wide open.
I browse through the channels.
Looking for something good.
Nothing exciting in the idiot box.
I pick out my iPad.
The TV is still on.
Scroll through a couple of pages on the tablet.
Temple Run 2.
I play it.
Try to beat my top score.
I’m not able to.
I decide on having a smoke.
I get bored to have one.
I walk out. Still.
Have 1/4th of it.
Throw it away in frustration.
I walk back inside.
Jump onto the bed.
Stare at my iPad.
Switch off the TV.
Switch off my iPad.
Switch off the lights.

It’s 4:30.
How do I know?
The clock struck once.
It strikes once when it’s half past any hour.
1:30, 2:30, 3:30, etc.
It’s 4:30 now.
So, I know.
I’m not sleepy.
I close my eyes.
Forcibly.
One of those times when I think ‘force’ is good.
I stare at the fan for 5 minutes.
I stare at the wall for 5 minutes.
I stare at the shadows for 5 minutes.

It’s 4:45.
My eyes start growing heavier.
I sit up on my bed.
Rub my face, and slam my back against the bed.
I’m off to sleep.

This is just one night. The 10th of June.
The other nights follow in almost the same manner.
And, the days follow in an even abrupt fashion.
Nocturnal agony.
Can’t say more.


No comments:

Post a Comment