The world was busy. Killing. Loving. Fighting. Kissing. Missing. Adding. Laughing. Balancing. Saving. Caring. Singing. Sharing. Befriending. Falling. Enjoying. Lazing. Jumping. Appreciating. Requesting. Hating. Contributing. Daring. Looting. Pooping. Puking. Subtracting. Gazing. Buying. Punishing. Drying. Dancing. Drinking. Looking. Calling. Pressing. Helping. Designing. Searching. Kicking. Crying. Playing. Working.

I was thinking. Writing.

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

It’s all about the zeroes. But only after the “1” in front of it.

Give me all the riches in the world and I won’t say NO to it.
Who would, in fact?




For me, “rich” is not defined as being a billionaire. At the same time, it’s not just having enough money that I don’t have to worry about running through my bank account day in and day out.


Become a sports star, earn good money. Become a cricketer (in India), and become the richest man on the planet. Get into Bollywood, earn good money. Marry a rich girl. Loot her father’s bank account in exchange, and stop working. You’d be rich, automatically. Invent the next BIG IDEA, become rich. We have all these ideas, and many more to be wealthy. Or else, we still have an option left. Work hard, and keep doing that, till the notes keep piling up. Be dedicated savers – Invest in Mutual Funds (for South Indians) – Invest in Government Bonds – Invest in the Share Market – to see your account balance rise every month. But, the wait is too long. JUST... TOO... LONG...! I want money. Quick, that too. Somehow.


The problem – I can’t pursue any of the afore-mentioned professions, or marry a rich girl, and I don’t even like investing. I invest, anyway. And, I keep thinking about the BIG IDEA, too.


The last fortnight has been life-altering for me. Money has almost been a part of everything that I thought of and dealt with.
I gave my birthday treat. Spent too much.
I went out on a date. Spent too much.
I talk over the phone. And, I spend too much.
In all of these, there’s one thing in common – I didn’t worry a bit while spending. Neither do I think about it now. I act wealthy. I act as if I don’t care about money. I behave as if I can manage to pay any kind of amount that I’m presented with, in all the cases. I was happy to be spending. I was happy to behave rich. Although, I’m no where close to being a rich chap. But, I was happy while I spent. And along came the thought – Can money really buy happiness? In these instances, it definitely did. At least to me, it did.


Editor’s note: Money CAN buy happiness.


I want to enjoy a life of choice, not chance. And, with the kind of choices that I have, I need money. Lots of it. And, maybe a little bit more than that.

No comments:

Post a Comment