The world was busy. Killing. Loving. Fighting. Kissing. Missing. Adding. Laughing. Balancing. Saving. Caring. Singing. Sharing. Befriending. Falling. Enjoying. Lazing. Jumping. Appreciating. Requesting. Hating. Contributing. Daring. Looting. Pooping. Puking. Subtracting. Gazing. Buying. Punishing. Drying. Dancing. Drinking. Looking. Calling. Pressing. Helping. Designing. Searching. Kicking. Crying. Playing. Working.

I was thinking. Writing.

Monday, November 22, 2010

Fear of the bark


A night as black as kohl. Nice and breezy. Only one street light that works. It flickers, as if it can’t make up its mind whether to make its presence felt amidst the thick darkness.


I see nothing beyond the shimmering lights, except for two shining white canines – a hazy outline. I neglect it thinking that it’s just an illusionary deception. “There’s nothing there”, I say to myself. I walk a step ahead as I hear a growling sound. I convince myself, again, and ask my stomach to stop making noises. I was just hoping that it’s not what I fear it is. With panic in my head, I take a step back and shout, “Shoo! Shoo!” (To no effect). The growling turns a bit louder. I take one more step back. And a few moments later, the action of walking back turns cyclical.

It looks like a dance routine. Imagine. I walk back and the one in front, walking at me. All in slow motion. The difference – A dance routine looks good (Here it looks like a badly impersonated dance version of a man raping a woman). The other difference – It was a freaky dog on my opposite end!


It barked its life out.
I yelled my throat out.
A minute more of yelling and I would have waved goodbye to Indian Idol.

With a blaring scream, I wake up from my dream covered with sweat all over my body. I look around to realise that it was a dream.

Not dramatically the same, but I’ve been through a situation like this. And it was terrifying. I confess that I fear this creature a lot. Loved by many in this world, I am one among the rest who dislikes it. Hate would be too rude. So, I dislike dogs! Everything about them.

Their razor sharp nails which I’ve almost been scratched by, twice. Close calls, both of them. Their shining whitish-yellowish teeth which have come too close to my shivering skin. Their murderous eyes, as if they are going to kill me at any moment. (Not even my girl friends have managed to do that yet) :P

Honestly, (almost) everything about them scares me.

p.s. I’m scared of cockroaches too.

2 comments: